I've finally done some spring sewing! I bought this fabric ages ago, thinking I would make a dress out of it, specifically, the Harwood dress when the pattern was first released last fall. Sadly, after putting all the PDF pattern pieces together and laying them out, I realized I didn't have enough fabric. Back to the stash it went until I re-organized my PDF patterns and saw my Rae skirt pattern - perfect! I made one version of this skirt a long time ago, but it didn't survive the wash since I threw it together without doing much seam finishing. I've wanted to make another ever since and this fabric seemed like the perfect match.
The wool crepe made a really nice skirt with the perfect combination of body and drape. It's a great all-seasons piece (except summer) so I think I'll get a lot of use out of it this spring. I really love this pattern - there are so many "quick" or "beginner" skirt patterns out there that claim to be easy and flattering, but I usually find that they don't work for me. If the skirt is made of one or two pieces, it just turns out looking like a giant paper bag and looks completely unflattering. The Rae skirt is constructed of 6 panels which gives it much more drape and I think gives it a much more flattering fit. The only thing that's missing is pockets! I decided to use French seams to hopefully make this skirt last longer than the previous version; the fabric was almost too thick but I really like how clean and finished it looks!