Elizabeth Street

Knit: Ondawa Sweater

MakingLiz TubmanComment

This sweater was my last finish of 2016, and my favorite hand knit item I've ever made to date.  It took me almost the whole year to finish this project, but not because it was particularly hard.  This sweater is really just two rectangles and two sleeves all seamed together, it just took me lots of time with all the cables and twisted ribbing.  It also got set aside in favor of other projects a couple times.  All that time was more than worth it, though, I've lost track of how many times I've worn my Ondawa since I finished it.  At least two or three times a week! 

The design is just beautiful, the cables and ribbing complement each other and the bracelet length sleeves and slightly cropped body make it a perfect piece for layering.  I decided to use the recommended yarn, BT Shelter in Fauna and it's perfect.  I love the color in person and I can tell it's going to be a work-horse sweater.  Spending the extra money on BT yarn was completely worth it in my opinion.  

I feel like this sweater has become a sort of embodiment of the past year for me personally; 2016 was a year of real ups and downs and there were times I just didn't feel like doing my usual routine - I felt like hiding away from the world somewhere - but I didn't.  I kept plugging away and showing up.  It wasn't always fun but I'm glad I did.  The same happened with this sweater - it got long, and I didn't always enjoy the knitting, but I knew the finished product would be beautiful so I kept showing up.  And then suddenly, it was done  - and I had something incredibly beautiful made by my own two hands.  That's what life kind of feels like too; it was a hard year but I feel like I've turned a metaphorical corner and suddenly realized what a beautiful life I actually have.  Thanks, knitting for teaching me a life lesson while sitting on my couch, haha!


Pattern: Ondawa by Michele Wang

Yarn: Brooklyn Tweed Shelter in Fauna

Size: 51 3/4"

Mods: knit about 2" extra on the body pieces and bound off the sleeves in pattern with a normal bind off rather than the recommended bind off method (this was to avoid decreasing stitches to make sure they didn't fit too tightly)